Checking your credit score is key to understanding your personal financial situation. Lenders want to know that you’ll be able to pay back what you borrow. A high credit score indicates that you manage credit responsibly. The higher your credit score, the more likely you are to be approved for loans, credit cards, and other forms of credit.
Through the Verified.Me app, individuals who have an account with BMO, CIBC, Desjardins, RBC, Scotiabank or TD can easily check their credit score for free with Equifax, Canada’s leading credit bureau.
Verified.Me helps verify your digital identity using personal information you consent to share from trusted Connections, such as like your financial institution. This allows you to get real-time access to services—in this case, your personalized Equifax credit report. Only information that you consent to share will be used to help verify your identity. Sensitive information like your account balances, transactions, and login credentials won’t be shared.
Learn more about how Verified.Me protects your privacy and keeps your information safe.
What is a credit score?
Before checking your score, it’s important to understand what the numbers represent and how they’re calculated.
Credit scores are a representation of credit risk, designed to depict the probability of you paying your bills on time.
Credit history is the list of payments, debt, credit accounts and other pieces of your financial past. Lenders use your credit history alongside your credit score to understand the risk of lending you money or credit and the likelihood of you paying it back on time. Equifax will present your credit score on a scale from 300 to 900. The higher the number is, the better the credit score. It is important to note that the number may be different depending on what service you use to check it, as each credit bureau or organization has their own methods for calculating credit scores.
The scores provided by Equifax through Verified.Me are for your information and educational purposes only —no one else will see or have access to them. The credit score you receive directly from the Equifax.ca website and the credit score you receive through Verified.Me are both owned and provided by Equifax.
How often is my credit score updated?
Your credit score is recalculated and updated each time an authorized party makes a request. This means when you are applying for a loan or a new credit card, your credit score will be updated. Your free Equifax credit score accessed through Verified.Me will be updated every 30 days. You can come back any time to review your most recent score. The date your credit score was generated can be found directly below the three-digit number.
Why is it important to check your credit score?
Checking your credit score can alert you to the possibility of credit card or identity theft. If your credit score seems much lower than it should be, it could be an indication that purchases are being made under your name or with your credit card information without your consent.
It is also important to know what lenders may see when you are planning on taking out a loan, applying for a new credit card or making a big purchase. Your credit score is a factor that can determine interest rates, so it is vital to ensure that your credit score is accurate and truly reflects your financial history and current standing. Your credit score also affects:
- Vehicle purchasing
- Apartment rentals
- Job opportunities
- Setting up utility accounts
- Purchasing a cellphone plan
- Paying for insurance
Is my credit score impacted when I check it using Verified.Me?
Your credit score will not be affected when checking it through Verified.Me. One of the key benefits of Verified.Me is free access to your Equifax credit score with no impact to your credit score. It does not cost you a thing and your information remains safe and secure.
How do I check my credit score for free using Verified.Me?
Checking your credit score is important. Using the Verified.Me mobile app helps make the process simple and secure.
- Step 1: Download the Verified.Me mobile app, which is available on the App store and Google Play. The Verified.Me mobile app is supported on iOS (10+) and Android (5+) smartphones. Please note, the app doesn’t support tablets or the preview editions of the Android OS.
- Step 2: Once the app is downloaded, tap “get started,” and select the financial institution you bank with. Currently, BMO, CIBC, Desjardins, RBC, Scotiabank and TD are participants in the Verified.Me network.
- Step 3: Once you’ve selected your financial institution, fill in the specified login information. This is the same information you use to access your mobile banking. Be sure to check Verified.Me’s FAQ page as each financial institution may have slightly different requirements for mobile login.
- Step 4: If this is your first-time logging in, you may be sent a verification code to ensure the safety and security of your identity. You will then be asked to confirm your personal information. This is an opportunity to confirm the accuracy of the information that you will associate with your Verified.Me profile. Every time you use the Verified.Me service after creating a profile, you will be asked to authenticate yourself using your online and mobile banking credentials with the financial institution you’ve selected.
- Step 5: Now that your account is set up and you’re logged in, it’s time to add Equifax as a connection. There are four icons along the bottom of the screen. Select the second icon from the right, titled “me.” Tap the big blue button near the bottom that says, “Add Connections,” and select Equifax. Once selected, Verified.Me will run through a three-step verification process.
- Step 6: Equifax is now one of your trusted connections. It should appear on your list of “My Connections.” Time to check your credit score!
- Step 7: Select Equifax and tap the big blue button on the bottom of your screen that says, “view details.” You will be redirected to the Equifax website via Verified.Me’s secure login. Once you agree to Equifax’s terms and conditions, your credit score will appear.
As life, leisure and commerce continue to expand online, keeping track of your online purchases and ensuring your digital identity is secure is becoming increasingly important. Checking and monitoring your credit score is a convenient way to ensure that your finances are accurate, up to date and that you’re in good financial standing.
When it comes time for a new credit card with a larger limit or a down payment on your first home, knowing your credit score will keep you on the same page as potential lenders and indicate how far you can go with your finances. Remember, even telecom companies and potential employers may request access to your credit history. Your free Equifax credit score accessed through Verified.Me is safe, secure and convenient to check–it is only a few taps away!
About Sarah Douglas
Sarah manages all of SecureKey’s marketing and communications efforts. She brings over 15 years of experience as an award-winner global marketer with a focus on technology.
Sarah played a critical role in bringing SecureKey’s blockchain-based Verified.Me service to market, leading all go-to-market activities for the ecosystem’s partnered financial institutions, service providers and strategic innovation partners.
Sarah has held senior marketing roles at leading technologies at Avaya, Certes Networks, Syndesis and Nakina. Sarah graduated as a Sheridan scholar from the Visual Arts and Marketing program and a holds leadership management certificate from Seneca and a Hootsuite Social Media certificate.
Sarah represents FINCA Canada as an oppHERtunity ambassador, sits on the DIACC Outreach Expert Committee and is a leadership team member of the Women in Identity organization.